Friday, April 20, 2012

Days 20-21...Elizabeth City, N.C.


WEDNESDAY and THURSDAY, APRIL 18-19, 2012
     I have told you for the last two days that I would tell you about Elizabeth City.  Well today’s the day.  There was so much to tell you about the museum yesterday that I was brain dead by the time I finished.  I’ll be a day behind but will catch up soon. 
     Elizabeth City, North Carolina is known as “The Harbor of Hospitality.”  When we arrived Wednesday, we had bumped forever across Albemarle Sound.  When we got to the Mariners’ Wharf, we were met by fellow boaters Roger and Dorothy from the boat SLOW CHURN and Mr. Gus.  Roger caught our line and helped us into the slip.  We had a chance to talk to them several times at the dock.  They were a very nice, humorous couple.  I wish I had taken their picture.  I just thought about that.  We did exchange boat cards.  It is one way boaters keep in touch if they choose to.  
     Mr. Gus was the official welcomer that day.  The way I understand it is that volunteers greet boaters, help them tie up and answer any questions about their fair city.   This granite memorial tells the “Legend of the Rose Buddies.”










    The dock has several sets of two slips with a short finger-pier in between bordered by huge pilings.  The width of each slip is painted on the seawall in front so you can pick a slip that best fits your boat.  There is a sidewalk in front with benches for joggers, walkers, boat watchers or anyone else to relax on.  Flags decorate the waterfront.  They can also be used to determine the wind direction and speed.  It was a fun place to people watch from our pilothouse seat.  There were ducks in the water and hanging around on the sidewalk waiting for a handout.


     After we rested, we went to eat at a place that shall remain nameless.  Then we stopped for a cupcake to take back to the boat to eat later.  Gary got one called a “birthday” cupcake with white icing, sprinkles and a cherry on top.  It was exactly one month before his real birthday so I said he was practicing for his real one.  I got a strawberry shortcake one.  Then Gary walked to the ACE hardware for stuff to work on the boat. We went to the Visitors Center.  I told you about Susan yesterday.  Later I slaved over a hot stove to prepare leftover spaghetti for supper.  We had a good night’s sleep safe at the dock.
Our view from the pilothouse seat at night
     Before we went to the museum, I was on the side of the boat talking to the guy on the sailboat next to us when I looked down into the water.  I saw what I thought were pretty colored leaves floating on the water.  Then I looked closer and saw that one of the “leaves” had legs and was swimming around.  It was a tiny turtle.  It was so cute.


     After we took the very interesting tour of the museum, we took pictures of the churches we saw on the way to lunch.
Episcopal Church 1856
Catholic Church 1893


















Methodist Episcopal Church 1921
Side view with dome
     We decided to splurge on $1.00 hotdogs at Bryon’s.  It is just a tiny place down a side street about a half a block off Main Street.  We had four hotdogs and two drinks for less that half the price of the overpriced hamburgers from yesterday.  We love a good bargain.  The menu is small, but the food was good.
Main Street













    I found my “gift of the trip”.  Every trip we go on I can buy myself ONE thing that I really want.  I found it at the museum gift shop. The gift shop carries a variety of items from local painters, potters, knitters, jewelry makers and other artisans. I have been looking for a ring for my right hand for several months.  Well I found it.  It is a handmade sterling silver ring made by Valda Belyeu from Washington, N.C.  I am a happy camper.

     We liked Elizabeth City and will return.    

1 comment: