Sunday, June 3, 2012

Day 66...Pollepel Island to Norrie Marina Staatsburg, New York


SUNDAY, JUNE 3, 2012
     Well I knew I was getting too confident with saving the photographs I take.  I got erase happy with my camera today and deleted eight pictures of the Bannerman’s Castle area that I took last night.  One of them was a very good close-up of the castle with silvery clouds behind the openings at the top.  I guess that’s what I needed to make sure I am more careful next time.   Here are a few night pictures I was able to salvage from my erasing frenzy.

     At about 8:20 a.m. we left the anchorage toward the south since the north end was too shallow to pass through.  When we started south, we were traveling at about 4.6 mph, but as soon as we turned north around the island our speed surged to about 7.2 mph.  Later it increased to at least 7.7 mph when the river got narrower.  That’s why we try to travel with the current. 
     It was a very uneventful day just cruising along with the current in our favor enjoying the scenery.  We still had to keep lookout for logs and other debris though.  Then…up ahead at Poughkeepsie, we saw a police boat with its blue light flashing.  I immediately think, “OH NO. What does he want?”  Well, we were OK.  He just wanted to let us know that there were rowers competing on the river in front of us.  We were asked to stay close to the opposite side and proceed at a NO WAKE speed.  We were glad to comply.  We watched the rowers as we slowly passed by (even slower than our usual slow speed).


     The Vanderbilt mansion was very hard to see from the water so you’ll just have to take my word that these pictures are actually of the mansion.   Allison’s family had previously taken pictures on the grounds there, so she is familiar with the area.

     As we were pulling into the Norrie Marina, our home for two nights, it started to rain.  We quickly tied bow toward the Hudson at the first floating dock and scrambled out of the rain.  This shower only lasted for 5-10 minutes.  After it was over, I went up to the office to complete the paperwork.  The marina is a part of Mills-Norrie State Park.  As usual it is a very reasonable $1.00 per foot with $5.00 per day for electricity.  Tom, the marina dockmaster, was very nice.  He was friendly and helpful.   I will add more pictures and information tomorrow.
     Just as we thought everything was settling down, we saw this huge, black cloud approaching.  Just before it started pouring, one boat was towing a broken-down boat in.  The tower released the line in front of us so the inoperable boat could glide over to the outside dock to the left of where we were tied.  It could’ve been a good plan if it had worked.  The storm hit as he was trying to reach the dock.  That meant he was adrift headed to our boat with the wind pushing him closer and closer.  What did we do?  Protected TRAVELLER of course.  Gary and I helped the guy and his wife pull the boat around to the side of the dock facing the river in the pouring rain.  I asked for a line to help pull the boat with and he handed me one that looked like a clothesline.  The only problem was it wasn’t tied to the boat.  It was a mess.  We finally got him around there and the wind kept him pinned to the dock most of the time.  This is another picture that I took through the window so he wouldn’t see me, like the rower in Mill Creek.  That was way too much excitement for the day as far as I was concerned.
     We’ll be here one more day so Allison’s friend Sylvia can pick them up tomorrow.   They will visit with her family until the Niagara trip.  We’ll miss them, but they also have plans to visit old friends from the area that they haven’t seen for a while.  That will be fun for them.
     We traveled 29 miles today in 4 hours and 7 minutes.  Our total mileage is 1410 miles since we left our marina.     

No comments:

Post a Comment