Friday, June 1, 2012

Day 63...Last day at Liberty State Park

THURSDAY, MAY 31, 2012
     At last the day we have anticipated since leaving Sara's family in Virginia has finally arrived.  Allison and the kids will be here later.  We can’t wait.  Gary was up at 5:30 and I was awake at 6:30.  So much for being able to sleep late when you retire.
     As we were watching the entrance to the anchorage as usual, I saw a self-propelled barge coming in.  It had a Budget rent-a-truck on it. It went over to the boat ramp and put down the barge's ramps. Then the truck driver backed it off the barge and away they went.  After they off-loaded the truck, the empty barge headed out.  As they left I yelled to the waving guys telling them that they were our excitement for today (until our crew gets here).

     We were waiting eagerly when Sylvia’s Chris brought the crew to us in the boat ramp parking lot.  
Everyone got hugs and kisses.  
After we unloaded the car, we loaded the dinghy and Gary took all of their stuff to the boat. 
 When he got back to the dock, we all piled in and went to the boat.

     We decided to go walking today and leave tomorrow.  We did the circuit that Gary and I walked the other day.  
     
They were cutting the grass and there were ladybugs everywhere.  
     We walked along Liberty Walkway, the crescent-shaped promenade along the Hudson River, from the southeastern end of the park near the Statue of Liberty to the CRRNJ Terminal (sometimes known as Communipaw Terminal).  I learned that Communipaw in the Algonquian language Lenape means big landing place at the side of a river.  The brick building is the ferry terminal. 
      I took some more pictures of the inside that seems to be Oriental in design.  Of course I am no expert in design by any means. 















     In the terminal there is a traveling exhibit with all kinds of information regarding Alcatraz Island.  I can't believe  Olivia went to jail too.  
     I posted pictures of the concourse and trainsheds (the largest ever to be constructed and designed by A. Lincoln Bush) the other day. We walked the back way by the exercise stations for most of the return trip.  By the time we were finished, we had walked at least 6 miles.  Gary and I underestimated the distance last time.  Everyone was sooooooooo tired.  
     We ended the trek with an early supper at the nearby diner.  It’s the red-roofed building in the background.
     On the way back I took a photo of the Liberty State Park sign.  I must’ve walked by it at least six times and never saw it until today.

     The water was the highest we'd ever seen it in the week we have been here.  Usually the dock has about 4 feet under it.  Also look at the slatted wall in the next picture.  It is usually over the person's head that is standing on the dock. 
    Lily took over  Gary's dinghy driving duties on the way back to the boat.  She did a good job.  It’s wonderful to have them with us.    

                 

2 comments:

  1. I love it. I am so glad they are there with you. Lots of love,Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had fun that day, even though my kids whined and complained!

    ReplyDelete